- 1 smoked ham_hock (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable_oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 each carrots and stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) dry green or yellow split_peas
- 3 green_onions, thinly sliced
Remove ham hock; pull off and shred meat. Set meat aside. Discard ham bone and bay leaves. In blender, puree half of the soup; return to pot along with meat. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Transfer to container and refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat to serve.) Ladle into bowls; garnish with green onions.Additional information : Tip: After removing the ham hock, you can also use an immersion blender to blend soup to half chunky stage while still in the pot.
TABS’ ATTEMPT RESULT:
All in all, was fun to make, and besides the ham bone, is vegan friendly ( ha)…
I used Vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, I also didn’t have fresh garlic in the house so I substituted garlic powder and a bunch of other spices. Worth mentioning also that I grated the carrots and I added cilantro alongside the onions which gave it a nice fresh taste that I could surprisingly pick up on through the spice.
I give my soup a solid 8/10. It was pretty OK.